Sunday, August 15, 2010

Claustrophobia vs Spaciousness

Trapped and alone. That's how life feels sometimes. Like I'm being squashed. For me the most difficult situation is when I can't get out to lunch, or am stuck so I can't go home early or even on time. We work twelve hours so it is a long hard day and in my work you are on your own as there is very little help or support so it feels very personal. I get so f-n angry I swear and yell (to myself) and want to smash things (sometimes do). At lunch I go up to the top of the parking lot (five stories) and feel the openness, the "spacious skies." I also look down on my work and the streets below and note how silly and small our struggles look from up there. I like deserts too as they are also still, quiet, and spacious. There is room to relax, to breathe, and think clearly. It may seem funny to consider spaciousness as a power tool but I am dead serious about it. Once I imagined turning into the Hulk and smashing buildings, buses, and billboards. I made my way home towards Santa Monica leaving a path of destruction. When I smashed through the freeway bridges at the 10 and 405 and saw the vast ocean and sun through the clouds in the distance I was touched. I sat down and began to weep. I shrunk down so small I crawled into a drainpipe and went to sleep. I often return to that image when I stress out to help bring me down again. That's what spaciousness can do. Give it a try next time you "Hulk out."

No comments: