Monday, May 12, 2008

Favorite Activities - Motorcycling


Tibetan Buddhism has an aspect that is used to inspire us, to lift us out of our misery and back into blessing and joy. It is called Lungta, translated as Windhorse. You are probably familiar with the Greek equivalent, the also winged horse, Pegasus. I particularly enjoy this metaphor as biking is my favorite thing to do. I truly am flying over cities and mountains if only a few feet above the ground. I can't tell you just how much I enjoy it, you would have to come riding with me to see. The rush of the speed, the dance of leaning into turns while rising and falling over mountains, and the wondrous beauty of the scenery puts me deeply into the moment and great bliss. I love to ride bicycles just as much. This picture shows our "moto's" at one of our favorite haunts, the Rock Store on Mulholland Drive in the Santa Monica Mountains. That's my wife's "horse" in the back. The point is, what is your Windhorse? As Thay taught me, we need a store of joy in reserve to see us through tough times, this is one of mine, what are yours?

No comments: